Hi everyone. This is all about the painting of that beast of a tank. As you know, I recently bought an airbrush which I used on the Spartan for the first time, and I learned a lot from that.

I used a darker shade to give more shading this time, starting off with Vallejo Model Air (VMA) Dark Yellow.

20140730-225659-82619293.jpg

I them used VMA Golden Yellow as the base colour. Having primed the hull in grey and then, once dry, using white primer from above, the Golden Yellow was much lighter in tone on the top surfaces of the hull.

20140730-230051-82851967.jpg

I finished off with VMA Medium Yellow on the very top surfaces. A gloss coat was sprayed over the entire model, and any decals were applied. Any areas of detail were picked out in VMA Gunmetal and highlighted with VMA Chrome. An oil paint wash was then used on the hull of Burnt Sienna diluted in artists white spirit, followed by a pin wash of Burnt Umber. For the track sections, I used GW Dryad Bark as my base colour.

20140730-230308-82988623.jpg

As you can see in the photo, I allowed a little of the Dryad Bark to overspray onto the hull to help with the weathering effect I’d be trying later.
I used sponge weathering again as I really like the mottled effect it gives to vehicles. Again, Dryad Bark was used, applied by sponge after dabbing any excess of onto paper towel first. A little though as to where the vehicle may become worn goes a long way to making it look more realistic. Photos of real military or industrial vehicles can give you good ideas. Next was GW Leadbelcher, applied over the Dryad Bark in areas of high wear.

20140730-231408-83648078.jpg

20140730-231409-83649445.jpg

20140730-231409-83649156.jpg

20140730-231407-83647104.jpg

The track sections were sponge weathered with Leadbelcher, then washed with Forgeworld Light Earth weathering powder mixed with water. Once dry, another application of sponge weathering using Leadbelcher finished them off.

The main guns, and the sponsons, were painted with the airbrush, starting with VMA Metallic Black, then VMA Gungrey, and finally highlighted with VMA chrome. They were given a coat of gloss, and then a black oil wash.

20140730-232703-84423122.jpg

20140730-232704-84424997.jpg

20140730-232701-84421868.jpg

20140730-232704-84424064.jpg

I have to say, I’m really happy with the finished result, and I’m looking forward to painting some more vehicles. Pushing myself into using new techniques has really paid off, I has been well worth the effort.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my ramblings. See you again next time. Cheers!

Advertisements